Category Archives: Process
Some Character Design. I’ve really got to learn how to simplify shapes for animation, but still keep the design interesting, or at least in my style. Lots more work to do. Gotta work ’til I’m dead.
This here’s a style-board from the project I’m working on with Andrew Malek. It’s going to be a mixture of 2D and Stop-motion with a lot of in-camera effects, so we’re experimenting with ways to make it as cohesive as possible.
Some early boards:
And here’s a little progress shot of Andrew’s work on THE BEAST:
Just a collection of some images I’m trying to keep in mind for my future collaboration with my classmate Andrew Malek.
Pictures from aencre, harryhausen, kahn&selesnick, sugimoto, jean painleve, and then some personal photos.
Also: Katie and I were watching Sunset Boulevard last week, and I took a screen shot and end up with this weird mixed frame. I thought it was kind of beautiful, especially with the pink on the other monitor. Long story short, I like this image, I have no idea what to do with it, so it’s going on the blog.
I’ll be updating some animation business soon- an exciting collaboration project coming up- Hopefully I’ll get to some serious drawing tonight as well. Until then, I went a half-day exploratory mission of Downtown LA with a few buddddies for a B&W photo assignment. I’m not a very good photographer- but anything is better than radio silence as far as I’m concerned.
I think of few of those turned out. I saw a ton of LA I hadn’t seen before at least. MORE TO COME.
I’ve been MIA for 2 weeks, but I just finished work on a fun project. I don’t think I’m allowed to talk all willy-nilly about it yet, but it was a learning experience. I had to design 2 mexican loteria cards, then animate a little 9 second stop-motion intro with them. It SOUNDED really simple, but I figuring out how to animate a card flip almost broke my brain. Katie helped me figure out the motion, my mom designed the wood and rubber stopper system to make it work.
Here are a few iterations of the 2 cards I designed:
Here’s the set up:
The whole thing took 2 days. 1 day to set up and figure out, 1 day to animate and edit. 5 seconds of actual animation. I was excited because it was the first time I was going to get to try wire-removal. Spoiler alert, it worked.
Here is an example of what it looked like through the camera:
The director ended up wanting a much more simple set up, so the final animation is nothing but the cards on the table. Last and least, here are my timing charts from my card tests:
Anyway- I’ll post the animation when I’m allowed to divulge all the information.