Category Archives: Video
You’ve gotta watch this thing at 720p or it looks like crap.
My first time ever messing around with Maya. EXPERIMENTAL ROCKET PALMS!!
These style-boards are suppose to serve as examples of what final frames from the animation might look like. Probably more detail than it will have in the end- but I’m trying to stick to simple colors. I still don’t really know what I’m doing.
In OTHER news: Mike Patterson (one of my professors) recommended that I make a rip-o-matic to help potential composers understand what I’m going for with my production 1. Which is exciting, because I’ve never heard of a rip-o-matic. It’s something used (mostly in advertising I think) as a proof of concept. A rough animatic made out of ripped clips from other videos to help demonstrate the final tone of my animation:
Anyway- it was a lot of fun to make, and ultimately pretty helpful. THE ANIMATIC COMES TOMORROW.
It took me until after break to upload this because I was kind of hated it. But now that a few weeks have passed, I forgot my original expectations and uuuuuuh- it’s not so bad! My friends here in the program call it Diarrhea Rocket.
New Year now- big expectations- I am very excited.
I think it ends up around 1,740 frames. But deduct about 170 frames for the titles (that I’m going to do in the computer due to time constraints) and divide the remaining number by 2 since I’ll be shooting on 2’s, and that ends up being about 785 pictures. 785 to take from Friday until Monday. That’s only 261 pictures a day! AGGHman I hope I can pull this off.
Making the animatic has helped a lot- I feel like I’ve already ironed out some kinks I would have come across. The sound in this video is temporary- I’m going to make it a lot more interesting.
And now, mostly for myself, a list of events in the animation that I don’t really know how to accomplish yet:
- Lens Flare (maybe pointing an actual light at the camera?)
- Space radiation and meteorites (paint on glass?)
- Color bands at the very end (paint on glass and colored gels? print outs and colored gels?)
- Lighting in general
And a list of the changes to make:
- Increase camera hang-time in exosphere
- Increase speed of fall after hang-time
- Fill frame completely with red for final color band
One of the latest assignments was to rotoscope 10 seconds of some video we had taken in class. This was, but I missed the point a little bit, made it too true to life. I traced 150 frames, then essentially redrew the 150 frames with my brush pens. I think some of the inbetweens turned into interesting drawings:
This week has been crazy. I stayed up for almost 2 days, for almost no reason.
At some point I decided that I was on a roll and needed to work through the night. It was fun, but ultimately the assignments I produced in that time period weren’t great. Which is FRUSTRATING.
But it turns out that we only have 2 weeks left until the end of the semester. So I think it’s a good thing that the week before our final assignments was the week where I kind of lost focus and made lame assignments, because now I feel ready to redouble my efforts for the finals.
Also at some point in my 40-ish hours of consciousness Katie and I shaved my beard into a mustache. It looks weird. My whole head looks weird.